.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Melandri Leaves MotoGP 2011

Marco Melandri finally confirmed that he will join with Yamaha on the World Superbike Championship for next season. It means that the rumors was denied. Melandri has been a full time grand prix rider since 1998 in the 125cc class and has taken a total of 22 GP wins - 5 in MotoGP, 10 in 250cc and 7 in 125cc. The Italian won the 250cc world championship in 2002 and moved to MotoGP with a factory Yamaha ride the following season. 

“I'm very happy with this new challenge, it's a big change and I want to fight for world Superbike wins,” said 28-year-old Melandri. “It's nice to be back with Yamaha; I know many people there; I was very young when I rode with them before, now I'm much more mature. 

"As the reigning 2009 champions The Yamaha Sterilgarda Team have proved to have a very competitive package and are one of the top teams in World Superbike. I realise Superbike is not easy and I know I have to work hard. I'm looking forward to feeling the adrenalin again and fighting for the championship. 

"I felt that I needed a new challenge and the genuine opportunity to be back fighting for wins and podiums led me to make this choice. It will be a big change for me but I would like to thank Fausto and everybody else at Team San Carlo Honda Gresini for the opportunity they gave me this season." 
 
coompax-digital magazine